Dale Earnhardt Jr. To Be Analyst During Broadcast Of Clash At Daytona

Fri, Feb 3, 2017 1,173

NASCAR fans might not get to see Dale Earnhardt Jr. behind the wheel of his No. 88 again until the Daytona 500, but the 42-year-old will appear in the TV booth during The Clash at Daytona.

Earnhardt is set to join NASCAR Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip, recent Rolex 24 at Daytona winner Jeff Gordon and Mike Joy as a driver analyst for FOX Sports 1’s broadcast of the Feb. 18 race, Motorsport.com reports.

This won’t be Earnhardt’s first time providing in-coverage analysis, as he previously did so in June during an Xfinity Series race. He also offered his insights while phoning into FOX Sport’s coverage of the Rolex 24.

“I’m looking forward to getting back into the FOX Sports booth for the Clash,” Earnhardt said in a statement, via Motorsport.com. “I had a great experience last year and am sure it will be just as enjoyable this time around. It’s a fun challenge for me.”

The combination of Gordon and Earnhardt, two extremely popular drivers, is something that could attract more viewers for what essentially is an exhibition race.

“We are tickled pink that Dale chose to be with us for the first event of the season before he climbs back in the car,” Eric Shanks, FOX Sports president and chief operating officer, said in a statement. “(Darrell Waltrip) even said that if Dale is nice, he may let him do the ‘Boogity, Boogity, Boogity’ at the green flag to start the season off the right way.”

Earnhardt missed the entire second half of the 2016 season due to a concussion, but is expected to compete in the Daytona 500 on Feb. 26. It will be his first race start since July.

Thumbnail photo via Jasen Vinlove/USA TODAY Sports Images